Thursday, September 3, 2009

Schrödinger's Love?

Everything we see, feel, experience is ourselves. When we love another person what we love is our own experience of this other person. The more we experience them, the more we see them through the filter of our own perceptions. We cannot observe something without changing it. A person is a multitude of possibilities (perhaps endless) which are constantly being expressed, but because of the way our perceptions seek to maximize efficiency and streamline what we experience we can only perceive a small sampling of the varying states of another human being.

We love, and we want to believe that our love is unconditional, but everything we do is based on the conditions with which we experience.

A person - a lover - may exist in every state at once, but our perceptions change this state of constant everything into a single state of one thing.

Or: we do not change our lover by perceiving her, rather the universe splits - strand by strand - in each moment, as each possibility is expressed. The universes unfold before us and we choose which one we will exist in from moment to moment, splitting ourselves - strand by strand, every once in a while glimpsing from the corner of our minds the possibilities we have chosen not to see, these moments chilling or thrilling us to the core, sometimes shattering, sometimes making stronger the way we have chosen.

My mind unfolds in endless possibilities and I could keep writing forever, or else fall into the pit of my words' inadequacies...instead I will post this. Because sharing is caring.

And I like the me I see in you.

3 comments:

  1. This is one of the most beautiful streams on love and relationships I've ever read. And it's so very very true. I've been sruggleing with some thoughts in my head as of late, and this blog really speaks to them. I like the me I see in you too, and thank you for sharing these beautiful and rich words, art, and ideas. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully put. I've tried to convey this almost precisely same speech to others before and haven't been quite as capable at articulating the point as fantastically as you just have. Reminds of my part with someone who claimed unconditional love. That ended in a ball of flames.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a physicist, all left for me to say is: Q.E.D.

    ReplyDelete