Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where is the Kim?

Photo by: Ken "Sharky" Braden


I'm in a cafe in Melbourne, Australia, planning music videos and album release dates. Jim Batt will be writing and directing all the videos I make in Australia - he's also the one working on the animated music video for The Organ Donor's March.

The jet lag is pretty intense, but mostly hasn't bothered me because I've been staying in and not venturing out into the world too much. I'll have more to say about Australia soon - once I get myself out of the strange time zone that I have made for myself that doesn't correspond to anything else in the world.

New Orleans was wonderful. I shot a great music video with Ron Rona, played four shows, and did two really good radio interviews: WWOZ, and WTUL. I also made some really wonderful new connections and strengthened existing friendships. New Orleans is a wonderful, magical place that can only exist in one spot in this planet. I spent a lot of time signing up to volunteer on the oil "spill" cleanup, but was never called to work. The tragedy was brought into a different light being in a place that was so imminently threatened by it. I still cannot believe that the criminals responsible have been left in charge of the cleanup. The frustration, rage, and sadness of the locals is palpable and I felt it all myself as New Orleans is one of my homes.

We are sad, we are angry, we are human. We keep living, smiling, driving on.

**

I'm so impatient to release my album, but also happy to be taking time to gather all the pieces and release it in a good way. There are so many songs, in so many styles, and so many ways to present the work. I've been getting my art submissions from contributing artists and I'm really incredibly happy with the quality, variety, and creativity of these pieces. The Impossible Girl is growing into a wonderful garden of collaboration.

**

Here is a video by Ron Rona (who directed my shoot for "The Big Easy")




Here is a video by Jim Batt

4 comments:

  1. Have tons of fun. Can't wait to see the music videos and here the album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU ARE IN AUSTRALIA!!!!!

    PLEASE if you can, come play in Sydney!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Take your time, don't rush it, you're doing the right thing. Videos look good. Music sounds great.

    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the videos!

    ReplyDelete