Wednesday, August 10, 2011

CNN and the Pre-Sold Tour

I did a CNN Money interview. Click on the image to watch it on the CNN website. Molly Crabapple was also interviewed, we talk about Kickstarter, art, pre-sold tours and more.



The pre-sold tour is humming along nicely. No completely sold shows, and we've got a few straggler cities, but I have high hopes and it is early yet.

I also have some fans who have taken initiative and put up Facebook events to try to get me to their cities: Tampa, FL, Chicago, IL and even Dublin, Ireland and the UK.

Tampa Florida went up two weeks ago and only has 11 people requesting me so far. It makes me a little sad of course, but it illustrates how hard it is for me to get the word out about my shows.

It also illustrates the distortion of internet "fame" and social media perception. I may have 11 fans in any given city who all talk to each other and because they are part of a community of many thousands on the internet who like my music they think I am super famous and wanted by a large group of people in their home town.

Many people have written to me to say "Please come to CITY X, no one ever comes here, we always get passed over, we are always left out." And I understand the frustration of living in a city that is not on a popular tour route. I know you love music as much as anyone in a big city. You may even love music more. I'd love to come play everywhere. I'm not snobby about cities, I'm not "passing you over" because your city isn't "cool" enough. Musicians don't often take chances in smaller, or unknown cities because we lose a lot of money when we do. Being an independent artist I just don't have money to lose.

My pre-sold touring concept puts far more power in your hands, if you choose to accept it. You can put up Facebook events and promote them to get me to try one of my pre-sold shows in your city. And for those cities that had people write in to get me to play there:

OCTOBER 13th – San Diego, CA 12%

OCTOBER 14th – Los Angeles, CA 10%

OCTOBER 15th – San Francisco, CA 46%

OCTOBER 21st – Seattle, WA 4%

OCTOBER 22nd – Portland, OR 43%

OCTOBER 23rd – Minneapolis, MN 11%

OCTOBER 27th – New Orleans, LA 43%

NOVEMBER 4th – Boston, MA 27%

NOVEMBER 5th – Hartford, CT 15%

NOVEMBER 12th – New York, NY 38%

 

The ball is now in your court. I've given you the tools to make the show happen and now it's up to you. Once I reach funding then I do the rest of the work. But we get to do this together. That's why it's special.

I believe in you!

 

Love,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment